5.04.2004

Our Counterfeit President

This and other gems from Intervention Magazine:

    George W. Bush summed up his qualifications for elected office back in 1989:

    • “…I could run for governor but I'm basically a media creation. I've never done anything. I've worked for my dad. I worked in the oil business. But that's not the kind of profile you have to have to get elected to public office.”

    George could coast through life because of his family’s money and influence. Someone was always there to help George jump to the front of the line. There was always someone ready to bail him out from his failed business dealings.

    • “[George W. Bush] is probably the least qualified person ever to be nominated by a major party. Yes, he was elected governor of Texas, and before that he ran a baseball team and lost a lot of other people's money in the oil business. But what has happened in the intervening five years to make people believe that George W. Bush would be a good president? What is his accomplishment? That he's no longer an obnoxious drunk?”-- Ron Reagan Jr., quoted in Salon.com, 8/7/00