5.06.2004

Bush "Sorry"

I must have missed something again. The media is rushing to applaud Bush for saying he's sorry (finally) but I must have missed the apology to the Iraqi people.

What I heard - and granted, I could have missed a few of the president's words - was "sorry for the humiliation" spoken second-hand to King Abdullah of Jordan. This being his FIRST direct mention of a scandal that broke 8 nights ago. Where did he apologize to the Iraqi people directly? Where did he acknowledge torture and abuse?

I'm humiliated when someone says something offensive and patently untrue. But if I'm an elderly woman taken in with no charges filed, then ridden around a room by US soldiers, I'm MORE than humiliated. If I'm sodomized with a broomstick or chemical light stick, I'm MORE than humiliated. What about you?

At this point, I'm not even certain the president sees this as a problem at all. The world, after all, rotates around him.