2.07.2004

Dump Cheney?

I was reading Pandagon.net last night and this morning, and I must say I share some of the views there about the importance of perhaps not targetting VP Dick Cheney specifically right now because it could mean a Bush-Giuliani ticket in November.

To me, the most important mission here is to be sure that Bush-Cheney do not win the election - or manage a situation whereby it's handed to them - in November.

Would I like to see Mr. Cheney fully investigated re: Halliburton, the energy task force and more? Oh yes! Likewise, I'd like Mr. Bush's actions to receive serious scrutiny. Remember, we impeached a president 4 years ago for lying about a blue dress. I somehow think lying about Medicare, lying about WMD, lying about tax cuts and deficits ranks a bit higher than traces of semen.

But - while I'm unconvinced that Giuliani would give the president a huge bounce (yes, some would feel they owed him the vote because of his actions on 9/11 but I suspect more would like to keep it from him for a number of reasons, both sane and not) - I'd like to see the nomination stay Bush-Cheney. They came into this wearing the same, single petard, and I'd like to see them go out foisted on the same one.