2.16.2007

The Edwards' Blogger Boondoggle: When Bloggers And Politicians Meet

As I've written both here and under my other hat at All Things Democrat, I'm fairly unhappy with what happened when the Hate Creed Catholic League people went after two progressive women bloggers (Melissa McEwan of Shakespeare's Sister and Amanda Marcotte of Pandagon) hired by the John Edwards 2008 presidential campaign for what these women wrote on their personal blogs.

I remain incensed that a group like the Catholic League - so bad Jesus probably wouldn't bother to smite them because he'd get Bill Donohue cooties - which exists only to hurl invective at anyone who doesn't think like them (and think may be a charitable term for how this group operates), could foment such rage at these women. And I remain even more disappointed in John Edwards, who was willing to use these women but not stand behind them when the boat rocked a little. I also remain enraged that such different standards are applied to anyone left of center when the likes of Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, and Glenn Reynolds can write the worst stuff possible and be applauded.

Still, with all that said, I believe JurassicPork at Welcome to Pottersville summarizes the situation beautifully about my own feelings re: when politicians and bloggers try to co-habitate. I encourage you to read it. Kudos to JP for tackling a tough, multi-faceted issue with more skill than I could muster.