10.04.2006

Why I Don't Think The Democrats Need to "Play" The Foley Story

Yesterday, I posted that I didn't want to see games being played with the Mark Foley Congressional page scandal. My remarks seem to have irritated or confused a few people, so let me try to explain better what I mean.

First and foremost, I think the Democrats along with Independents and third party types running for seats have much better things to do than get involved in the rhetoric of the Foley scandal. Really, I do. And if the others don't have more to discuss, than perhaps they shouldn't be running.

Second, the Republicans right now are doing an excellent job of eating their own. House Majority leader John Boehner, whose quite the piece of shit anyway, is very busy trying to call himself the innocent darling while pointing all his 10 thumbs at tubby Dennis Hastert, the GOP Speaker of the House while the Bush-Cheney Administration is happy to support Hastert while the focus is off what Bob Woodward's "State of Denial" had to say about the way they do (monkey) business.

Third, what is far more important that Foley is, as I wrote yesterday, much less of an issue than the cover-up the GOP engaged in to conceal it. As you may recall from the era of an impeachment over a blue dress, Kenneth Starr and the Repugs were famous for saying, "It wasn't so much about the Lewinsky affair but more about the attempts to conceal the truth."

Well, hell, what got covered up here went much bigger and broader than what Clinton did by initially denying a sexual relationship with Monica.

Yet, I'm not looking for a tit-for-tat here. We shouldn't go into impeachment mode JUST because the GOP engaged in what appears a much worse coverup of the Foley matter than Clinton did. At it happens, there are dozens and dozens of other reasons to call this administration and the majority on Capitol Hill traitors and ineffective.