2.15.2005

Big, Bad, Bogus FDA

So the FDA is planning on creating yet another group to look at drug safety. But that's what the FDA is supposed to be doing anyway instead of becoming solely a shill for drug companies (I make this point in my book, "Buying Drugs Online: Avoiding a Prescription for Disaster" now available in book stores).

And then there's the story of a scientist who felt bullied by the FDA to prevent him from presenting information about the connection between NSAID drugs like Vioxx and Celebrex and heart disease. I'd point you to this story I read on CNN this morning but - lo and behold - it's magically missing now. When I found the link in my browser history, I'm told it's dead. Hmm.

If you think the FDA is there to protect you, stop. They exist to protect PHRMA and others. You just pay the bills.