2.14.2005

Arthur Miller

Another great passes. Again, I haven't posted because I've been rather devastated.

If you haven't read "All My Sons", it's really required reading during the Bush Administration and Condi's diplomacy by bomb. Just FYI, that work was one of many factors making me the person I am today, feeling the way I do about war and defense contractors and all that goes on beyond sending our soldiers to war.

"The Crucible" was very telling about the McCarthy era, but becoming very appropriate to read again today while so many voices are being silenced in the name of patriotism Bush style. My family was historically part of the region and the time period depicted in colonial New England in "The Crucible" but this work also helped educate me tremendously about religious and political intolerance and the damage that can be done by those who invoke God to inflict hate.

My sometime-neighbor here in Vermont, David Mamet, has an excellent piece in The Times on Miller.