6.04.2004

Paul Wolfowitz: Is He On Our Side?

Max sums up the appearance of Gen. Anthony Zinni and his odd couple co-author Tom Clancy better than I can:

Caught a bit of Tom Clancy and General Anthony Zinni on (figuratively speaking) Deborah Norville last nite. Zinni was persuasive, but why is Clancy being asked to analyze intelligence policy? Because he writes spy novels? He should go back to driving his tank around his estate.

When asked to render their opinions of some Administration figures, Clancy responded to the name of Paul Wolfowitz with "Is he on our side?" Ouch. Oy.
However, I have to admit that this is the first time I've ever had even grudging respect for Clancy. He's almost the last person I would have expected to question this system of war and administration.

I used to speak with him occasionally when he hung around AOL private staff chat areas (long story that I might divulge sometime but yes, I actually worked for AOL... hanging head in shame). He used to call me a dove while I used to joke to others that Tom was more Scud than stud.