5.21.2004

Nick Berg's Father Writes About His Son's Death and His Life

Michael Berg, father of the Nicholas Berg, the young man executed by hooded men sometime between April and early May, writes an eloquent, passionate letter in The (UK) Guardian. It begins here, but I encourage you to read it since there is so much more about this man than the horrific way in which he was killed.

My son, Nick, was my teacher and my hero. He was the kindest, gentlest man I know; no, the kindest, gentlest human being I have ever known. He quit the Boy Scouts of America because they wanted to teach him to fire a handgun. Nick, too, poured into me the strength I needed, and still need, to tell the world about him.

People ask me why I focus on putting the blame for my son's tragic and atrocious end on the Bush administration. They ask: "Don't you blame the five men who killed him?" I have answered that I blame them no more or less than the Bush administration, but I am wrong: I am sure, knowing my son, that somewhere during their association with him these men became aware of what an extraordinary man my son was. I take comfort that when they did the awful thing they did, they weren't quite as in to it as they might have been. I am sure that they came to admire him.