4.18.2004

Richard Meyers on Wolfie

Did I just hear correctly? The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - someone who, I'm sure, wears a hearing piece to pick up remote broadcasts from Rumsfeld's strange little mind and just parrots them back - just said that it's only our great successful that made a revolution by a joint group of Shiia and Sunni forces inevitable. No. The DoD told us those were two groups who would never band together. And I'm having a problem seeing any of this miasma as a success.

Second, Meyers' says that it's the "few rebel forces" responsible for so many deaths of women and children. I doubt that, too. I think that women and children are getting involved because there's such a mess and, sorry to say, we're not exercising as much caution as we could in making sure we don't target them. I don't think this is the decision of the men and women on the ground. I think this comes straight from "win at any costs" Washington.

And if we don't recognize that the situation is only going to deteriorate more with so many exhausted forces being ordered to stay another 90 days or more...