4.12.2004

Howard Stern

The piece on Keith Olbermann tonight about Howard and the war against Bush is quite interesting. It does seem unique that Clear Channel chose to drop him only once Howard began to criticize Mr. Bush, after several years of supporting almost entirely right-sy candidates. Yet there's also this busy buzz-buzz with the FCC and decency.

But what Howard decent when he was geared to the right, while he's indecent now? The dates are just awful close for pure coincidence, Janet Jackson's nipple aside.

Hey, I make no secret: I don't like Howard. I did for a short time, when he first appeared on WNBC in New York. He was a bad boy, and I pined for the days when I was still pretty young when Imus was stoned out of his gourd and being a reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy bad boy.

But I realized Howard was never going to grow up so I turned him off. Just like listeners can do now - turn him off. He doesn't have to be your cup of tea to be allowed to be on the air. Radio is filled with voices and genres I don't like. So I don't listen. No biggy.

Tastes change, too. For example, I used to think Alan Colmes was a very good program host and was quite smart. I don't listen to him now either.