3.01.2004

Who Will Be Kerry's #2?

It's an intriguing question.

Today, I've read such possible Dem VP names as Dick Gephardt, Howard Dean, John Edwards (natch), and Max Cleland.

Each of them offer both strengths and weaknesses. While I admire Gephardt for much of what he has done in his career, I don't think he'd be the best choice. I'd love to see Howard Dean get it (and Kerry could use some of the former Deanie momentum - not to be confused with Joe-mentum) but I think it's unlikely.

Conventional wisdom says a Northern presidential candidate has to have a Southern VP to try to win Southern states. I'm sorry, I don't like this. It shouldn't be true if it is true.. and I'm not sure it is. But Dems love to play it safe. However, if it is.. both John Edwards and Max Cleland would bring something worthy to the table.