3.03.2004

Congrats, Dr. Dean

The state of Vermont - always its own critter - served up John Kerry's only defeat in a total sweep of Super Tuesday primaries by giving their votes to their former governor, Howard Dean, M.D.

John Edwards is expected to announce his departure from the race today.

I'm still bowled over that Edwards has taken so many races, leaving pundits to complain for weeks now that everyone else should drop out. I'm glad many hung in there past the first few primaries. People should have a choice.

I just wish I warmed more to Kerry. Mind you, there's much I admire about the man, and nothing about him troubles me to the degree another 4 years of Bush, or a potential President Lieberman would worry me. But he's yet to make me feel that he's the absolute best person for the job.

Remember: I said for me, it's not "anybody but Bush." I want Bush out because I think he's been a disaster for us and a tragedy for the world. I doubt we'll even begin to appreciate how bad he's made things until he's been out of office for some time (some things, of course, we'll never know).

But I also want to really throw my support behind the person who runs for office. I could do that with Gore in 2000. I suspect I can do it for Kerry. But I still want a better reason than, "he's not GW."