1.31.2007

Good Night - and God, We Miss You Already - Molly Ivins

I just sat down at my PC and found a dozen emails all telling me that the unsinkable Molly Ivins, easily my favorite Texan of all time, has died.

I am beyond heartbroken. The very first time I heard her speak, which was even before I became a huge fan of her writing, I fell in love with her. I wanted to be Molly Ivins when I grow up (and at 5'2, I'm still waiting for that to happen - grow up, I mean, since I'll never be dear Molly).

As someone who has barely ever exchanged hellos with green-eyed envy, I was also insanely jealous because I somehow knew I would never be half the woman she was: smart, sharp of mind with a rapier tongue and pen, hellaciously funny, someone who could fill and rivet any room, a woman who could best any man, and a person who could slam dunk "Shrub" with her eyes blindfolded and all her limbs hog-tied.

Somehow, the world seems a little less tonight knowing Molly isn't here anymore.

But she gave us so much that we know Molly will continue with us in her bigger-than-Texas-itself spirit. She may have been the best thing that has ever came from the Lone Star state and she will always be my favorite Texas rose (but a fiery, passionate red one and no yellow-bellied hybrid).

God bless you, Molly. My condolences to your family and inner circle. And thank you so very, very, very much for all you gave to us.

You truly were a beauty of the greatest magnitude and in every sense of the word.