1.30.2006

About Oprah

OK, I got myself started about Oprah.

When I was quite young, I really hated soap operas. There was always enough bad drama in life so I couldn't imagine why anyone would watch a daytime soap opera (or hell, today's reality TV). My mother watched everything from "The Edge of Night" to the debut of "The Young and the Restless" and, as I also like to point out, my mother died watching a soap opera, which may tell you something about the genre.

But if you want purile daytime TV - OK, I mean other than Katie Couric and CNN and Judge Judy - watch Oprah.

My God, she's actually convinced herself that she's important and that she means something.

The only time I ever catch Oprah usually is when I'm very bored AND I can't find the TV remote before she utters a syllable. When that occurs, I stay just long enough to count the black women in her audience. Actually, there are usually more white men in her audience than black women. FAR more white men. Often, of an age to remember segregation.

And what do you think that says?

But I digress - as is my wont.

Oprah's total hypocrisy was really on display with this James Frey - "A Million Little Pieces" - and a couple thousan lies" controversy. Even when she was bitch-slapped with proof he'd deliberately sold fiction (which 19 publishers rejected) as non-fiction, Oprah "I am sooooo special! I just love myself" Winfrey insists his is a compelling story of redemption.

Redemption? As in the redemption of royalties from sales on his books that you got sold to white women who have only heard of heroin from their kids type?

The Smoking Gun did an excellent bit of research. And only when Frey came after them and they spilled more of it was it very clear that Frey lied his way through all of it.

I honestly do not hold the publisher responsible. In a book like that, a publisher is not going to 'vet it like you would lots of other things. Cookbooks don't get tested. And if credibility was a sign of what gets published, Ann Coulter would be printing only on the back of racist fortune cookies.

But I do blame Oprah because even after this came out, she insisted on calling Larry King's show and having Frey on air to promote him. Her apology this week was just to try to shirk the dead fish stink off herself and my did she dress for it.

(continued)