6.07.2005

Anne Bancroft

I was deeply saddened - as I'm sure so many others were - at the news that Ms. Bancroft had died yesterday.

She was a national treasure, a woman with a sharp mind, great talent, and an incredibly expressive and handsome face. No matter how rough talking or neurotic her character might be, she always brought great elegance to her roles.

The first time I saw her in a comic role after knowing her for drama, I was a bit dubious at how well she could pull it off. What a dolt I was for wondering! Add all the Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolies, Gwyneth Paltrows, Carmen Diazes, and Nicole Kidmans together - and mind you, all except for Julia, these women aren't talentless), and you have nothing compared to Bancroft's capability even in a smaller supporting role.

We've lost someone great. But she gave us so very much while she was here.