12.14.2004

Let Me Get Out My Violin

The wife of the lottery winner who took home the richest undivided jackpot in U.S. history says she regrets his purchase of the $314.9 million ticket that has thrust her family into the public spotlight.

"I wish all of this never would have happened," Jewel Whittaker told The Charleston Gazette for Tuesday's editions. "I wish I would have torn the ticket up."

Since winning the lottery two years ago, her husband, Jack Whittaker, has been arrested twice for drunken driving and has been ordered into rehab. He pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor assault charge for attacking a bar manager, and is accused in two lawsuits of making trouble at a nightclub and a racetrack.
Gee, I feel so badly for this clown. Mind you, my lack of sympathy isn't because he's wealthy. I imagine coming into money like that truly is very difficult. But all this man has done is get arrested, call the police, and act like a juvenile delinquent since he won it. And he was the one who kept inciting God when he was getting his prize.

But then, the people who always want to use Christ like a club over your head are always the ones who turn out to be true creeps in their real life. Like the president's plan for faith-based social security. Erp.