9.11.2004

And So it Goes

Today is another 9-11 and here in the Northeast, I won't draw the obvious parallels about how gorgeous and blue a day it is (although it is) just as it was three years ago.

I've kept the radio, the TV, and even the 'net off because I wanted to remember my way, without being prompted by the media. I don't need to see the photographs being held up by relatives because so many of those faces were forever etched into my memory in the days following 9-11-01 as people desperately searched for survivors.

Today, I mourn not just for the lives lost three years ago, but all the lives lost since in our misbegotten quest "to vanquish terrorism" by wreaking terror throughout the world. I also mourn for my country, which has surrendered so much, given so much power to partisan politicians for no good results, and for the hatred and fear that has been bred in its wake.