1.12.2004

The "Whiteness" of Vermont

And no, I'm not referring to our October-May snow cover in the northern part of the state either.

Listening to Al Sharpton go after Howard Dean for Vermont's rather record statistic of being about 98% white and that Dean had no people of color in his cabinet made me think again of when I first arrived here to live (my mother's family is from Vermont and I chose to return). After the first few weeks, I happened to notice a black man at a gas station and glanced at his license plate: North Carolina, and remarked to my partner, "It seems odd that the first person of color I've seen here took this long and he appears to be from a different state."

I'm not sure what factors in here in terms of the "whiteness" of Vermont. Unless you live in the deep southern part of the state (we're long but not wide), it can be a very difficult place to live. It's expensive considering the services available, but I don't think this explains it. Some of the explanation, I suspect, lies in the New England tradition of being dismissive of almost anyone who hasn't lived in an area for at least 20-30 years and/or three or more generations. It's tough for anyone to move into a small community and start life there knowing no one. My first year here I felt like I was marooned. Some mistook me for a "N'Yawker weekender". It's much better now, but I've heard many stories about different people who couldn't manage to survive their first year.

But I don't think that's the only factor in keeping us so lily white. After three and a half years here, however, I don't think it's overt racism. A good part of Vermont is diverse in its cultural, music, and other options. The people of color I do see and meet appear well integrated into their communities. So this matter still has me scratching my head a bit.