1.17.2004

Wacko Jacko

On a lighter note (at least as light as you can get considering the charges are child molestation), I made the mistake of watching TV yesterday to get real news and found myself confronted by non-stop Michael Jackson coverage instead.

Who else could take an arraignment on child molestation charges and turn it into a music video/circus? I'd love to know what medication he regularly takes so I never consume it by accident. How do people get to be caricatures of themselves, anyway?

I found myself confused as to which was the most offensive: the media playing up to it while ignoring real news, Michael turning this into a "peace and love circus fest", or the people who drove for hours to flock around him to offer support.

Parenthetically, I have to say that I lean toward the idea that Michael's probably not guilty of the charges, at least until we hear some concrete evidence to the contrary. I think the prosecutor has been trying very hard to make some kind of case for years and this latest child is his best hope of doing so. But Michael did himself no favors by paying off that other family on the first set of charges and certainly not by repeatedly going on record to say he continued to sleep (sleep, not have sex) with children who were not his own.