4.06.2006

Duke LaCrosse Mess

Someone sent a note today asking why I hadn't commented on the Duke LaCrosse case where at least three white members of the team are accused of raping and tormenting an African American exotic dancer. Today comes word the team's coach has resigned.

Well, probably like everyone, I'm appalled at the story being presented in the media, especially after the alleged email from a team member stating he wanted to hire another dancer and do to her even worse than had been done to the first young woman. But I'm not sure I have much to add.

Right now, it is an alleged case. I hope the matter is investigated fully. Yes, even prostitutes - and there is no evidence an exotic dancer is, by definition, a prostitute, I want to add - can be raped so I'm further appalled by a few of the right-most blogs where I've seen comments left that said the girl should have known what might happen to her before she went.

How exactly does one expect rape? I've been abused in that manner, and I certainly can't say I expected it.