1.04.2006

The Coal Miners

I haven't quite had the heart to write about this.

I had largely given up hope when I happened to see the excitement start up that 12 had been found alive. Stayed watching til the early hours of the morning with what seemed like incredible news... which turned out to be incredible indeed.

Then, like many of you, I awoke to the news that only one is alive and the rest was just a terrible, terrible mistake. Everybody seems to want to sue someone. As often as I heard the folks in the crowd say angrily - such people do not do well when given the microphone so frequently - that they intend to sue the networks for reporting what they themselves told the reporters.

But how many times have we heard about attempts to close down mines like that only to have these same people insist you just can't close the mines? People who vote for Bush and then are surprised that the Mine Safety group only works FOR the mine owners?

Oh, they have my sympathy. They do. But these folks want it both ways. And then they want to go shopping at Walmart and question why they - with their poor educations - can't get jobs except as miners.