10.09.2005

What's Your Call on Miers

The Carpetbagger Report - for those who aren't regular readers - has a nice habit of opening up the discussion on one key topic every Sunday, and the questions or dilemmas presented are usually good ones, with a lot of good discussion.

Today's topic is Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court (and here's an interesting tidbit: as late as yesterday, polls were showing that between 7 and 9 out of every 10 people have no idea who she is when asked to identify her). Should we actively support her confirmation (I'd probably prefer to eat glass) or happily sit by and watch the extreme right - who my my my has really been snarling about being stuck with Clarence Thomas 14 years ago - demand her replacement because it would be another nail in King Georgy's coffin?

For myself, I can't applaud her nomination. But even to make Georgy Porgy seem bad am I willing to consciously hurt the country by allowing the rightists to trample all over the court.