9.07.2005

Poor, Poor Jonah Goldberg

From The Poor Man:

POOR ME [Jonah Goldberg]
I’ve been catching a lot of flack recently for my comment that poor people are getting too much sympathy for their suffering in the aftermath of Katrina, at the expense of better-off victims. Look, I agree that it’s real sad that I bunch of poor people died. Boo hoo. But the fact remains that playing the class card simply lets extra special poor people off the hook for the bad decisions they’ve made in their lives that landed them in this position. I mean, they knew perfectly well the hurricane was coming, and yet they didn’t even think of sojourning to their summer houses in the Hamptons until the storm passed? Why didn’t they take some time to travel Europe, and maybe bum around Prague for a while pretending to be a novelist? And if none of that appeals to them, they should join the army, because there are lots of people like me who just don’t have the time. It’s of course tragic that tens of thousands of poor people drowned, but will no one spare a tear for all the stolen plasma TV’s?
Sounds a lot like Jonah, too.