6.13.2005

Tomorrow is Flag Day

And - as seems fitting in a Congress so out of touch with reality - there may be a bill introduced this week to make it illegal to burn or otherwise desecrate the American flag.

God, how many times have we been through this? It was a big deal with I was a wee one in the 60s and you saw so much burning - bras, draft cards, Newark and the occasional flag.

Mind you, I'm not big into tearing down symbols which usually has the opposite response to what the burner seeks (instead, I would rather work to reduce or eliminate the influence of the bad parts of what the symbol represents). So I was surprised to see a few newspapers discussing the possible new law in which several folks said the only thing that would ever get them to burn a U.S. flag was Congress passing some silly law to make it illegal.

Now, I agree, this is a silly law. For "MYOB" Republicans who supposedly aren't big on laws, they've certainly pushed many bullshit ones since 2001. They've happy to run around taking every right they can from average Americans.

I am a lot more concerned with the reasons of why people would be moved to destroy the flag than I am worried about a little flag burning. There are legitimate reasons why people would feel moved to do same and - right or wrong about flag burning - this is a far more important issue.