3.16.2005

Queue the Twilight Zone music

I've been sleeping very badly and after finally slipping off to sleep at 6:30 this morning while watching the early news, I awoke again around 10 to Bush giving a long, meandering address about Iran (well, let me add, I'm not sure whether it was on Iran or Iraq". Peeking out from beneath my blanket, I heard things like "if they don't do this, we'll take it up with the Security Council" and "(unnamed country) would do better as a democracy."

(Yeah, democracy's a nice idea. I remember when we had one here.

Doesn't this sound familiar?

I mean, just stop and think how rarely this president bothers to answer press questions (and even when he takes them, he doesn't actually answer them. So to have him appear in this venue saber rattling makes the hair go up on the back of my neck. This is a man who may have already decided we're headed into Iran or Syria or both, and now he's making a half-hearted attempt to sell the action.

And if we thought Colin Powell whored himself out to appear before the UN Security Council on Iraq, we can only imagine the job Condi and her shit-kicking boots will do. Colin - at least before we went - impressed people as being a man who understood one does not seek a military response as the first response. Condi, however, will do whatever her president wants.

Does anybody believe Italy or Britain or any of the other "coalition of the we-don't-want-to-be-on-Bush's-shit-list" will stand up with us this time? Italy is booking out of Iraq.