1.03.2005

The Nerve

Eight days after Americans began donating in record numbers, in record amounts, the president comes out today and asks each and every American to donate to the tsunami relief funds. In other words, we're supposed to pull his ass out of a sling. He even had the nerve to imply that we should give our money rather than the government's money. Last I checked, the government money is our money.

Now, I don't argue with Americans helping. I've even implored people myself and contributed myself.

What I have difficulty with is that:

    * the president's appeal is kind of late (but hey, you wouldn't want him to cut a moment off his three week vacation)
    * I bet the twins haven't curtailed a cent of their nightly multi-thousand dollar bar bill to help anyone
    * he clearly would rather keep the government money to spend himself on that assinine Star Wars program, tax cuts for the rich, and pretending he isn't bankrupting Social Security
    * God forbid he admits he really fucked this one up
    * he pulls out Clinton - who he detests - just to prevent getting in anymore trouble
    * he waits until virtually everyone who wants to donate has already done so
What a classless piece of work.