11.11.2004

Yassir Arafat, Rest in Peace

I was sad when I heard the news last night.

Yes, I know he's a highly controversial figure, but I honestly believe that he changed as part of the peace process as I've said here before. Nor did I consider him the obstacle to Middle East peace that Ariel Sharon was and is, that George Bush and the far right (who want Israel to win only so the Rapture can occur)was and certainly is now.

But most of all, I just wish the best for the next Palestinian leader. Whoever he is, it's going to be an extremely difficult job. I also wish with all my heart that Palestinians come to know an independent home of their own, and that someday, Israelis and Palestinians can live in relative peace. But I don't believe for a minute that can happen with Mr. Bush in office.