9.25.2004

Jimmy Swaggart Sorry (Again)

I start off today with this story because it leads into another topic.

Disgraced (how many times?) evangelist Jimmy Swaggart said this week that he would kill any homosexual who looked at him with lust. Now, of course, he's retracted.

But why do the people who always feel they're God's anointed always threaten and perform violence? There are variations on this, but from Falwell to Swaggart, Robertson to those nut cases on his show, these Southern Christians (and no, I do not feel they are representative of all Southern Christians, and some Northern Christians espouse similar things), these are people with hate in their heart and eager to side with God - or so they think - in promoting bias, violence, intolerance, and so much more.

You know, as a woman, I've had more than my share of "lustful" approaches, mostly from men but a couple of women. I might have wanted to take a shower after the encounter just from the talk or behavior, but I've never wanted to kill someone. I loathe Swaggart and his ilk, and I wouldn't like to kill them either.