1.02.2004

The Plame Blame Game

I was trying to put my reaction to words yesterday related to new excuses being offered for how Valerie Plame was "outed" by the White House - in what should be considered an act of Treason and a serious one considering it was sanctioned by that White House - when I found that Joshua Marshall at TalkingPointsMemo.com had already covered it beautifully.

The appearance of Victoria Toensing (I've been convinced for years that she and her husband have a decency level somewhere deeply into the negative numbers) on the talking heads shows offering an excuse signals something bad: this investigation isn't real. We're going to let a White House staffer get away with outing a CIA deep undercover operative for political payback and the theory going about that Ashcroft recused himself so it won't look as bad when the whole thing is swept under the rug is accurate. I am sick about this.

There is nothing this White House and administration can't get away with; I'm sicker still that we allow it to happen again and again while all we hear is non-stop Laci Peterson, Kobe Bryant, and Michael Jackson.