6.22.2004

Fahrenheit 911 and That Little Notion Called Freedom

On Friday, Michael Moore's long awaited film opens and my partner and I plan on seeing it. I hope you do as well, but you won't find me begging or appealing to you to do so.

At first blush, this may sound odd coming from me because I was one of many who wrote letters to the same movie theater managers/operators whom right wing was trying to get NOT to show the movie asking them to indeed roll the film. But that's the thing. People who want to see the movie should be able to do so; those who don't should stay home and should NOT interfere with other people's right to watch and/or enjoy the film.

CBS made me ill when they decided not to show that dumbshit Reagan movie earlier this year because of the heat they took from the right wing. Mind you, there have been plenty of movies that placed Dems in a bad light. And no liberal or lefty I know tried to stop that assinine 9/11 cable movie that falsely portrayed Mr. Bush in glowing terms on a day in which I don't think he did so hot.

And while lots of us who remember Reagan the man and not the myth were not at all happy with the revisionist one-sided history of Reagan presented during what turned out to be a full week-long Republican orgiastic campaign commercial for the Bush campaign, I don't think anyone lobbied to have the plug pulled.

I'm sorry some people are too thin-skinned or anal to be able to deal with a point of view other than their own. But hey, that's life. So I won't tell anyone that they absolutely must go see Michael Moore's film, and I don't think a narrow- and small-minded group of individuals who aren't particularly representative of more than a tiny fringe faction should tell me what I can't see.

"They hate our freedom," Bush likes to say so simple-mindedly about "terrorists." So let's exercise that precious freedom to either go see "Fahrenheit 911" or to sit home and watch "Walker, Texas Ranger" or "O'Reilly Factor" instead.