4.04.2005

The Pentagon and Depleted Uranium: What's Wrong with This Picture?

[Ed. note: No, the wrong title is not on the wrong post. This requires a narrative lead-in which I promise will be shorter than "War and Peace" but will likely seem longer than the last time you had intercourse.]

As those of you who blog yourselves know, many bloggers use various services to look at their metrics which basically give us an idea of who is visiting. For the most part, this is very general information like what service you're using to connect (AOL, Verizon, Comcast).

While enterprising types could probably discern a great deal more about their visitors (in fact, I know how invasive they could be since I've worked for some very large service providers), this is not something I would choose to do. By being a public blog (albeit one that doesn't advertise she's here), I've provided an implicit invitation for anyone who happens my way to stop in. I've no interest in carding you at the door. I've never felt the inclination to ban anyone. I've never deleted a single comment (even my own when I've wanted to take back what I said ::cough::).

Such stats thankfully do not provide your name, weight, where precisely you're located (many just track to a regional routing system to indicate you're from Northern California or Southern Florida), favorite sexual position, or whether you secretly watch Bill O'Reilly while running your loofah over your falafel --- ewww, I've completely grossed myself out now.

So - to cut to the chase (hmmm... I like that phrase) - I was strolling through my stats tonight and I noticed that I seemed to have several visits from the Pentagon and the military today.

Now, while I often wonder why some government organization is spending tax dollars reading my blog in the middle of a workday (and suspect sometimes it's not just a browse, if you get my drift), I'm always just as happy to see the Navy, the Marines, and even Mr. Rumsfeld's chief coffee-pourer - not to mention reps from the Dept of Interior, Education, State, Food and Drug, etc. - visit as anyone. Since a good 2-5% of my traffic everyday is from some aspect of government, it's probably good I don't mind!

But imagine my surprise when I noticed that the Pentagon and military hits today all seemed to be looking up entries I'd made about depleted uranium in Iraq.

Let me say just a few things to my new admirers:

    Folks? If anyone should have information about depleted uranium in Iraq, it's.. um.. YOU. If you're coming to the blog of a quiet, mild-mannered, non sci wiz (I've been to MIT but just so I could say "Yes, I went to MIT" and leave out the part about being there for about two hours) techie writer with post nasal drip to learn about depleted uranium in Iraq, we've got a big problem.
And yes, this worried me even more than the six people who found me on Google Search yesterday by typing in "golden showers". I have not tried to duplicate the unique set of circumstances to see just how easy it is to find my blog when looking for um... that but I just know this has something to do with Jeff Gannon.

I mean, let's face it. Wherever there's somebody pissing on your leg and telling you he loves you, there's Jeff Gannon. ::smirk::