10.16.2004

O'Really, O'Reilly?

Did anyone else catch the very strange interview Bill O'Reilly did with Ann (Annthrax) Coulter (the toxic toothpick, says Jame Wolcott) on his show Thursday night? I caught part of it on (again, I think - I was busy working) Keith Olbermann's Countdown on MSNBC.

It was the day the story about him and his producer really broke, and yet he's on quizzing Ann about her attire and whether she's trying to be seductive and... well, it was just unusually weird, even for O'Reilly.

Of course, that's Ann's stock in trade. Her Web site, last I knew, featured a montage of photos of her in all these racy clothes - something you might expect from a movie star but not from a conservative columnist who lives to tell other people they have no morals.

If I were Ms. Mackris' attorney, I would probably get a copy of that interview. And if I were Bill O'Reilly's psychiatrist, I would adjust the dosage upward.