3.17.2004

On a Personal Note

This is mostly addressed toward the women who may be reading, although breast cancer strikes men, too (and for them, it's often far more serious because it's much less likely to be detected early).

After years of putting it off, I'm scheduled to go have a mammogram tomorrow. I'm discussing it here because a) I feel women should get them (even if I procrastinated again and again) and b) because it represents a terror for some of us.

I, for example, have been through breast cancer scares before. Thankfully, I always came out fine but the fear is always palpable. I've worked with advanced breast cancer patients and I know something of what they go through. Of course, cancer is always a great intrusion and life changer. But I think some cancer sites and types can be more destructive to the spirit. But then, I think we women often feel somewhat at the mercy of our hormones, and breast cancer is tied to those lovely hormones.

The next few days will be pretty tense for me. I have some suspicions they may find something (but I've been wrong before). I'm also kicking myself for not having the mammogram earlier.

If you're a woman who's 40 or over (or younger but with major concerns), even if you don't have health insurance, find a hospital or women's program that can help you connect with a screening center. Many cities, states, and private programs can seriously help defray the costs. When I signed up for mine, I got this lovely paperwork from the hospital telling me how I could pay for it if I didn't have coverage to handle it (I do, but the paperwork was still appreciated).